WHO IS ELIGIBLE?
We aim to serve up to twelve veteran/dog teams per year. The selection process, both for the veterans and the dogs, is hugely important in ensuring the success of each team.
Veterans applying to our program should meet the following criteria:
- Have an official diagnosis from a health care provider of PTSD and/or TBI
- Reside in an owned or rented home within an hour of our Training Center in Hollis, NH.
- Be able to commit to the full training process (often one year to eighteen months), which includes one or more weekly, training sessions at our Hollis, NH Training Center, and self-directed at-home training
- If living with others, have the full support of all household members in having a service dog
- Have the ability to care for oneself and a service dog
It is the policy of Operation Delta Dog to open our program to all eligible applicants regardless of race, color, religion, creed, sex, gender expression, age, national origin, ancestry, ethnic group, disability, marital status, sexual orientation, socio-economic or cultural background.
WHAT IS THE PROCESS?
Applicants can access the Veteran Application here. This application will ask general information, and give us permission to contact a chosen health care provider and conduct a background check. Applicants should be notified within two weeks if they have been chosen for the next step.
After a favorable review of the application, Operation Delta Dog will schedule an in-person interview with our Veteran Caseworker and members of the training staff. This will allow us to learn more about your goals and what needs the program can meet. This interview takes place at our Hollis, NH training facility.
Following the in-person interview, the Veteran Caseworker and training staff will schedule a home visit. This allows Operation Delta Dog staff to assess the suitability of the home for a service dog, as well as meet family members and other pets.
When the home visit has been completed, Operation Delta Dog staff will review all components of the application. Veterans will be notified within two weeks of the home visit if they have been chosen to move forward, and what the next steps are.
REQUEST AN APPLICATION
To request an application or ask any further questions about the process, please email us at
Should you need assistance with filling out the application and/or translation services, please let us know and we will help you with any modifications or assistance needed.